作者:小雅和英美友人

◆ 开学,如何用英文表达?

◆ 国外有双线本吗?中外的英语本一样吗?

◆ 桌套、餐垫、饭盒,英文怎么说?

打开网易新闻 查看更多图片

Shopping for School Supplies

买学习用品

Mom: You're going to start school next week.

妈妈:你们下星期就开学了。

It's time to go shopping for school supplies.

该去买学习用品了。

Supplies是什么什么用品的意思,比如美术用品就是art supplies。

Your teacher sent me a list this morning.

你们老师今天早上给我发了一个单子。

Are you ready to go?

准备好出发了吗?

Child: Yes.

宝宝:准备好了。

At the Supermarket 在超市

Mom: Check off the items as we put them in the shopping cart.

妈妈:咱们把哪样东西放到购物车里了,就打个勾。

打开网易新闻 查看更多图片

Child: Okay. It says we need a lot of writing utensils.
宝宝:好的。上面写着我们需要很多笔。

Writing utensil是铅笔、钢笔、水笔、圆珠笔等书写工具的统称,相当于中文的“笔”。

Mom: Let's head to that aisle.

妈妈:咱们去那排。

Aisle指超市货架间的通道,这里翻译成“排”以符合中文语言习惯。

What kind of writing utensils?

什么样的笔啊?

Child: Pencils and mechanical pencils.

宝宝:铅笔和自动铅笔。

I also need crayons, colored pencils, and markers.

我还需要蜡笔、彩色铅笔和水彩笔。

打开网易新闻 查看更多图片

Mom: I've grabbed all of those.

妈妈:我都拿了。

Child: Okay, what's next?

宝宝:好的,下一个是什么?

Mom: A pencil box, a pencil sharpener, pencil caps, pencil grips, erasers and aruler.

妈妈:铅笔盒、转笔刀、笔帽、握笔器、橡皮和尺子。

Mom: I'll let you pick out the pencil box.

妈妈:你来挑铅笔盒吧。

Child: Look at all those colors!

宝宝:看有这么多颜色!

I'm going to pick a purple one

我要选一个紫色的,

because that's my favorite color.

因为那是我最喜欢的颜色。

Mom: I like that one too.

妈妈:我也挺喜欢那个的。

I'll add the rest to the cart.

我把其他东西加到车里。

Child: Okay, what's next?

宝宝:好的,下一个是什么?

Mom: Glue sticks, construction paper and blunt-tip scissors.

妈妈:胶棒、美术纸和安全剪刀。

安全剪刀,对小一点的孩子也可以说safety scissors。

Mom: It sounds like you'll be making some fun projects.

妈妈:看来你们会做一些好玩的东西。

Child: I hope so.

宝宝:希望是。

Next, it says I need five plastic folders.

接下来,它写着需要五个塑料文件夹。

Mom: I'll let you pick out the colors you want.

妈妈:你来挑喜欢的颜色吧。

Child: The next things I need are book covers and labels.

宝宝:接下来是书皮和口取纸。

打开网易新闻 查看更多图片

Mom: Alright.

妈妈:好的。

Do you need to buy notebooks?

你需要买本儿吗?

Child: Yes, we need single-line notebooks, double-line notebooks, Chinese penmanship notebooks, and English penmanship notebooks.

宝宝:嗯,我们需要单线本、双线本、田格本和英语本。

(1) 英语国家也有双线本,但是在使用时,不像咱们只用宽的那行。

(2) 田格本的作用是练习汉字的书写,因此我们把它翻译成了Chinese penmanship notebook,penmanship是书法、书写技巧的意思。
(3) 美国的英语本是这样子的:

Mom: Got them.

妈妈:找到了。

What else does it say you need?

还说需要什么来着?

Child: A desk cover, lunch mat, lunchbox, and tissues.

宝宝:桌套、餐垫、饭盒和纸巾。

Why do I need tissues?

我为什么需要纸巾啊?

Mom: The tissues are for the whole class to share.

妈妈:纸巾是给班里大家共用的。

Child: Okay, we're all done with the list.

宝宝:好的,清单上的东西都挑完了。

Mom: Are you sure we're done?

妈妈:你确定咱们都挑完了吗?

I think you're missing an important item.

我觉得你忘了一样重要的东西。

Child: What's that?

宝宝:是什么呀?

Mom: How are you supposed to get all of those supplies to school?

妈妈:你怎么把这些学习用品拿到学校呢?

Child: In a backpack!

宝宝:用书包!

Mom: Exactly.

妈妈:完全正确。

You pick one out.

你去挑一个。

Child: I can't wait to start school.

宝宝:我等不及开学了。

I feel super ready now.